Trusted Tips and Resources

Trusted Tips & Resources

Trusted Saskatoon Accountants at HTH CPAs Discuss Taxes: Underused Housing Tax (UHT) Returns

Hounjet Tastad Harpham has decades of accounting experience working with clients across Saskatchewan. Their expert accounting advice is valued by clients ranging from individuals to businesses small and large. Hounjet Tastad Harpham is a Trusted Saskatoon Accounting firm and in their latest helpful Saskatoon accounting and tax tip, they discuss the new Underused Housing Tax (UHT) Returns.

Underused Housing Tax (UHT) 

The Government of Canada implemented the Underused Housing Tax (UHT) on June 9, 2022 and this will impact certain residential property owners as of December 31, 2022. 


A residential property owner who is not classified as an “Excluded Owner” must file the UHT return by April 30 of the following year. They may be required to pay an annual 1% tax on the Taxable Value or the Fair Market Value of the vacant or underused housing.  


Excluded Owners include Canadian citizens and permanent residents, so most individuals will not need to file a UHT return. However, all private corporations, partnerships and trusts (even those owned by Canadian citizens) who own residential property will be required to file a UHT return annually, even if they are exempt from the UHT.  


Failure to file a UHT return has significant penalties, starting at $5,000 for individuals and $10,000 for corporations. Further, failure to file could lead to the UHT being payable, even if an exemption should have applied.  


If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (except in capacity as a partner or trustee), no action is required on your part. Anyone else that owns residential property, including individuals that own the property as a partner or trustee, may want to consider discussing your situation with your tax advisor.  



Your ownership of a residential property may be exempt from the Underused Housing Tax for a calendar year depending on:
  • the type of owner you are
  • the availability of the residential property
  • the location and use of the residential property
  • the occupant of the residential property
Remember, if you are an affected owner of a residential property in Canada on December 31 you still have to file an Underused Housing Tax return for the residential property for the calendar year, even if your ownership qualifies for an exemption.

PLEASE NOTE As of March 2023 - HTH is currently not accepting new personal tax clients for the remainder of this tax season.

Accounting Services:

If you are looking for a Saskatoon chartered professional accountancy firm contact the team at Hounjet Tastad Harpham today.

HTH is a Trusted Saskatoon Accountant 

Tax specialist

Comments are closed


Previous Posts


S & E Trusted Online Directories Inc
310 Wall St #209
Saskatoon, SK   S7K 1N7
Ph: 306.244.4150


App Store Google Play
Follow us on Facebook Instagram Linked In Twitter YouTube RSS Feed
Website hosting by Insight Hosting