Trusted Tips and Resources

Trusted Tips & Resources

Trusted Saskatoon Insurance Experts share a tip on Condominium Unit Owner's Insurance Options

Trusted Saskatoon Insurance experts!


Here they share a tip on Condominium Unit Owner's Insurance Options:

As a condominium owner in Saskatchewan it is important to know your insurance options, as even though your condo corporation may have it's own policy to cover the property, common areas, and structure, this will not cover your belongings, improvements you have made to your unit, or personal liability. SGI Canada offers the following Condominium Unit Owner's Pak options. 


Condominium Unit Owner's Pak A

Protects your belongings against loss or damage resulting from:

- fire or lightning

- explosion or implosion

- smoke

- falling objects

- impact by aircraft, spacecraft or land vehicles

- riot

- vandalism

- water escape and rupture

- electricity (power surge) 


Condominium Unit Owner's Pak I

In additional to Pak A coverage, Pak I also covers:

- glass breakage

- theft, including damage caused by attempted theft

- loss or damage to items being transported, caused by an accident involving the transporting vehicle 




Condominium Unit Owner's Pak II

In addition to Pak I, includes comprehensive coverage for yout belongings (subject to certain restrictions).


Important Features

All packages come with several important features for no additional cost.


Personal liability coverage

Also included with all packages, this coverage protects you in case you're found legally responsible for bodily injury to someone else or for damage to their property. This is a $1 million limit in personal liability coverage to cover:

- court costs, legal fees and certain other expenses associated with your defence in the event of a liability suit

- voluntary medical payments up to $5000 and voluntary property damage payments up to $5000, even if you're not legally liable 


Improvements and Betterments Coverage

All SGI Condominium Unit Owner's Paks automatically provide 200% of the belongings amount in coverage for any improvements you make to your condo. You can increase this amount for an additional premium charge.


Contingent Coverage

This provides protection for your unit in the event the condominium corporation's insurance is inadequate.


Additional options

- Identity Theft Coverage

- Excess Protection - premises improvemnts

- Increased Limits Coverage

- Special Belongings Coverage

- Sewer Backup Coverage

- Voluntary Fire Fighting Coverage

- Watercraft Coverage

- Seasonal Home Coverage

- Rental Home Coverage






Al Hattie Insurance your Trusted Saskatoon Insurance Experts share some tips on what to do if you have a claim

Trusted Saskatoon Insurance experts!


Here they share some great tips on what to do if you have a claim?  




The first step is to contact SGI. Their toll-free number is 800-647-6448 or you can call directly to the SGI Claim Centre that is located most conveniently to you. The locations and phone numbers of the claims centres are in the link below. Or you can now file your claim online through the link on our website at and go to online services - eclaim.

Reporting your claim by telephone or online will help you avoid a long wait at the claims center and is the fastest way to get your vehicle repaired. When you report the claim, SGI will set up an appointment to have your vehicle appraised and the damage assessed. To help you avoid delays, please don't visit your claims center for an appraisal without first calling.

If you choose to use the eclaim service, an SGI adjuster will contact you via telephone often in the same day. You can also provide your statement and witness names on the eclaim form, as well as book your appointment at the claims centre of your choice to have the vehicle appraised and the damage assessed. If your vehicle is not drivable, you will make arrangements with an adjuster. Your vehicle will be towed to a location where the damage can be appraised. To speed up the process when you go online or call, have the following information on hand: your driver's license, the vehicle registration and auto insurance policy number. SGI will also need the driver's license number of other drivers and license plate numbers of other vehicles involved in the collision, and the police file number if they were called.

Accidents must be reported to the police under any of the following circumstances:

•If the collision results in injury or death

•If it's a hit and run

•If a driver is impaired

•If any of the vehicles involved have to be towed from the scene

•If the collision involves an out of province vehicle




If you have suffered a property loss (anything you own besides a vehicle or part of a vehicle), immediately call your broker. Your broker has the information about your insurance coverage and will record the details of the claim you're filing. Your broker will advise on how to start the claims process.

If your property has been damaged, you should take steps right away to prevent further damage by covering broken windows, securing broken doors, etc. You may wish to call a restoration company and get their advice. Taking these extra steps will not hinder the settlement of your claim. It can also be a good idea to take digital photos of the damage to keep a record.

Don't throw away any damaged property before your adjuster arrives. The adjuster needs to see all the damage, so he or she can make an accurate calculation of your loss. It's also a good idea to keep receipts for any major purchases. That way, if you ever have to file a claim, it's easier for the adjuster to determine the value of your belongings.

The time it takes to settle your claim depends on how complicated it is.







Trusted SASKATOON INSURANCE Experts share a Trusted INSURANCE tip on MySGI Online Services

 Here they share a tip on MySGI Online Services:

Sign up for MySGI Online Services at Conexus Insurance today! 

With MySGI, customers can register for a secure account that allows them to complete the following transactions online:

·         Renew or cancel vehicle registration (plates)

·         Annual driver’s license payment

·         Registration Eligibility Declaration for Continuous plates

·         Request your driver abstract

·         Make a Receivable payment

·         Replace lost/stolen driver’s license or identification card


Just follow these four easy steps and you are on your way to enjoying the convenience of MySGI online services: 

Step 1

In order to sign up for online services, an email must be added to your personal account. To add your email, visit one of our Conexus Insurance offices, or phone us at:

Regina 306-757-8601 or toll free 1-877-553-5558

Humboldt 306-682-4343 or toll free 1-877-470-4343

Saskatoon 306-652-1816


Customers can also contact their nearest SGI Motor Vehicles branch office or call the SGI Customer Service Centre at 306-775-6900 or toll free at 1-800-667-9868. Once the email address has been added to your account, you will receive an email with an activation code.  

Step 2

Visit our website at  

Step 3

Find the SGI Online Services logo and select the office nearest you by clicking on the appropriate link. 

Step 4

Click on the ‘Sign In’ or ‘Register’ button and follow the step-by-step process. First time registrants will require the activation code which was emailed by SGI in Step 1.  

MySGI is an option for customers who want quick and easy access to SGI services. If you are interested in setting up an online account, contact the Conexus Insurance location nearest you! 



Trusted Saskatoon Insurance Expert Answers Questions on Personal Insurance on Saskatoon Directory PART 2



Here experts answers questions on Personal Insurance on the SASKATOON DIRECTORY:


1. Jennifer Sparks: How much life insurance should a single parent have with 2 children who just entered their teens?

A: Again a needs analysis should be done. There are many variables. Who would the teens live with in the event of your death? Could that person afford to support the kids? You need to consider eliminating any debt that may be present when you die and of course providing enough income to support the kids until they are old enough to be on their own. Add your debt and at least 75 to 80% of your income x 10 years.

2. Melodie Poorman: How long is the coverage period of life insurance?

A: The coverage period on life insurance depends on the type of policy you have. Term insurance plans definitely have an expiry date but that varies from plan to plan and company to company. Most permanent plans have no expiry date and the coverage will be in place until the date of your death.

3. Corry Stewart Dorosh: If you got your children life insurance at birth and they get medical issues can you still purchase them more life insurance or if they choose when they are older can they get more?

A: Even if you purchased a life insurance plan for your child at birth their ability to purchase more life insurance in the future will depend on the type and severity of their medical problem. Depending on the problem it is possible that they will not be able to purchase any other life insurance in the future. To prevent this from happening I advise my clients to add a guaranteed insurability option to their children’s policies. For very little additional monthly premium this option can be added and allows your child to purchase more life insurance numerous times in their life without difficulty or having to answer any medical questions.

4. Kimbrolina Linke: What kind of life insurance should parents get and when should they get it?

A: The type of insurance parents should get can vary according to individual need. Why are they getting it? The most common type for young new parents is term insurance. It allows a young couple to make sure they have protection in the case of unexpected death to cover debt, mortgages, children’s education and to replace their income for the family, all at an inexpensive rate. If they are looking at purchasing insurance as an inheritance for their children or for estate planning then permanent insurance is the product of choice. Again a proper needs analysis will help determine the right amount and the right product.

5. Amanda Starosta: I'm a funeral director and have heard some horror stories about families trying to obtain life insurance benefits after a death, is there any advice I could give them to make sure they have all the documents/information they need to go through the process with ease?

A: Generally speaking obtaining life insurance benefits shouldn’t be difficult for a person. I think a lot depends on the type of life insurance policy. It may be more difficult to obtain benefits that are provided through creditor protection plans than from individual life insurance contracts. In my experience I have had no problems obtaining the benefits for beneficiaries. The usual documentation required is a death certificate or funeral director’s certificate, claimant’s statement completed by the beneficiary and sometimes a copy of the deceased’s birth certificate. If everything is in order they usually receive the benefit with a week to two weeks

6. Andrea Pyle: Jennifer, do I need to get more life insurance, even though I'm covered with my work? Is it beneficial to do so?

A: I always advise my clients to have additional insurance to their coverage at work. Today it is very, very common for a person to change jobs or careers a few times. The life insurance coverage you have through your work is tied to the group benefits plan at that job. If you leave that employer the life insurance does not go with you and the next employer may not have a plan offering the same coverage or if you become self-employed you may no longer qualify for life insurance if your health has changed.

7. Ann Lyte-Maille: Jennifer, are there any policies that cover critical illness? Such as Chron's disease?

A: There are critical illness policies that cover a large list of illnesses, usually anywhere from 24 to 28 illnesses. However, at this time I do not know of any that cover Crohn’s disease.

8. Trish Planchot-Voldeng: Jennifer, I have heard it is hard for cancer survivors to get any form of life or travel insurance. Is this true or do they pay a very high premium? Does it ever decrease if a person is cancer free for a number of years?

A: First I will respond to the travel insurance. A cancer survivor can get travel insurance but depending on the type of cancer. They are not eligible if they have received any treatment for pancreatic or liver cancer or had any type of cancer that has metastasized. If this is not a problem they can qualify for travel insurance as long as they have no reasonable expectation of needing to see a doctor and are not travelling against their doctor’s advice. Now this applies to people under age 70 travelling for less than 36 days. For client’s older than 60 travelling for an extended period of time, they will have to answer a detailed health questionnaire and they could find it more difficult to qualify for the travel insurance or pay an extra premium.

Now for life insurance, it is possible for cancer survivors to obtain life insurance but there are many variables that need to be considered; what type of cancer, what stage or grade of cancer, age of diagnosis, what type of treatment was required, how many years since the person has been considered cancer free. Was there any metastases? For example: someone diagnosed with malignant melanoma or skin cancer that had the cancer removed and it was in the low stages may be able to obtain life insurance within a year; for higher stages it may be five years. Prostate cancer: again this depends on the age of diagnosis and the severity. In this case the older you are at time of diagnosis the better. Breast Cancer: This can be harder to get life insurance. Even with the lowest grade of cancer you would need to be 5 years post treatment. With any type of cancer a rating or additional premium may be applied but it is important to note that with these ratings, as the years go by and the length of survival increases, the rating/ premium can be reduced. If you are a cancer survivor don’t assume you won’t qualify for insurance. Talk to someone or call me.

9. Tanis Macala: Jennifer, Saskatchewan has some of the highest percentages of smokers. Currently, Saskatchewan has the highest number of smokers between the ages of 15-19 (20%)... a title we've had for nine straight years. Can you explain the effects this has when it comes to obtaining life insurance and the difficulties it may cause?

A: Generally speaking if you are in good health being a smoker won’t cause any difficulty in obtaining life insurance. However, it definitely will increase the cost. Smokers see an additional 40 to 70% increase in premiums compared to non-smokers depending on the type of life insurance, the amount and whether they are male or female. The good news is that if you quit smoking and maintain this for 12 months, you could have the smoker rate reduced to non-smoker rates, providing your health is still good.


Trusted Saskatoon Insurance expert answers questions on personal Insurance on Saskatoon Directory

Conexus are a Trusted SASKATOON INSURANCE expert

Here they answer Faceboook fans questions othat were asked for the November show about personal finances

Part 1 :

1. Rachelle Nieman :How can I estimate/calculate best when determining how much extra life insurance to get on top of what is given by my employer?

A:In order to determine the amount of life insurance required by any individual a needs analysis should be done. This entails looking at things such as all of your debt, final expenses, estate administration costs, saving for children’s education and income replacement. What assets you have should also be considered. However if you are single, a quick rule of thumb would be to add up all your debt, add additional insurance for final expenses and estate costs then subtract your assets. If you have dependants, add up all your debt, funeral expenses and estate administration costs and also add 10 times your income.

2. Erin Leigh Cumming: Every time I see a commercial for Gerber life insurance, I have to ask: Why does a baby need life insurance? I get that it would pay for funeral costs, but beyond that... who really needs life insurance, and who can go without?

A: Whether or not to insure babies or children is a common debate in the life insurance industry. Some advisors agree that it is important and some do not. I definitely do. The most important reason to insure a child isn’t to make sure there is cash for funeral expenses, although that is important, but to guarantee insurability. Many people have the misconception that money buys life insurance when in fact it is HEALTH that buys life insurance, money only pays the premiums. No one knows what the future holds. Insuring a child as young as possible before any health concerns exist is a wise idea. It secures coverage for them so that if they are diagnosed with a health condition during their childhood years that makes them uninsurable, they will have coverage as adults when they may have a spouse or family to support. For children you can also add something called a guaranteed insurability option. This allows a person to buy additional insurance numerous times during their lifetime without providing any medical evidence. There are many things that can affect our ability to qualify for life insurance. Purchasing a plan for your child or grandchild is one of the best gifts you could ever give them.

3. Mike Maille: Do I need special insurance when I am traveling out of Country and how important is it if so?

A:Absolutely. You should never leave Canada without travel insurance that covers you for emergency hospital and medical expenses. Even a quick weekend trip across the border to shop should include a travel insurance policy. There is no free healthcare when you are travelling. A doctor’s visit alone can cost hundreds of dollars and hospitalization involving tests or surgery can run into the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands depending on the severity. The few dollars spent for a travel insurance policy is well worth it. There are actually some countries that require visitors to show proof of travel health insurance before allowing you to enter. We see this in Cuba, a common vacation destination for many Canadians.

4. Brandon Lesperance : What type of life insurance policies should I look at getting I'm just 21 and most people my age don't think about this ?

A: Which type of life insurance to purchase at age 21 depends on a few factors. The first question you should ask is why am I buying the insurance, what am I protecting? Another important question is what can I afford? Everyone’s situation is different. This is something that you should discuss with a financial advisor knowledgeable about life insurance and the various types available. I am a true believer in applying for life insurance while you are young and healthy. Permanent insurance plans are a good idea at a young age if you can afford them. You are able to lock in the premium at a low cost and perhaps have the policy paid up in 10 or 20 years. An advisor can help you determine how much of this type you need. There are many reasons to also purchase term insurance which allows you buy a much larger amount of insurance at very reasonable rates. Again this should be discussed and decided upon with the help of an advisor.

5. Stephanie Nicholson: How much life insurance should a couple have? If you have a child and want more and a house?

A: That is a very open question. Every couple is different and situations vary. A proper needs analysis done by a financial advisor will help determine the right amount. But a quick rule of thumb would be to add up all debt, including the mortgage, and at least 10 times your income.

6. Irma Kidd Johnson: when you have a premium return rider, just how much do you get back when it terminates ? everything that has been paid in premiums, or a percentage ?

A: In order to determine how much you would get back you would have to check with your policy wording. There are different policies that include return of premium riders. We usually see this with either disability or critical illness insurance policies. Some policies will return the premium you paid to cover the cost of the insurance but not return the premiums paid for the rider. Others will return all premiums paid. It should be outlined in the policy.

7. Jennifer Sparks: I have a daughter with epilepsy. What do I need to know about insurance for her when she is no longer covered as a dependent. Also, how much life insurance should a single parent have with 2 children who just entered their teens?

A:  That is a good question. As with many health conditions the severity of the illness needs to be determined. Many people with epilepsy CAN get insurance. The underwriters want to know the age of diagnosis or how long she has had it as well as the severity or how well controlled it is. If the epilepsy is well-controlled and your daughter has had no seizures in at least 2 years she should have no trouble qualifying for life insurance. Depending again on the control there could be a slight rating or additional cost added to the premium. If the epilepsy is poorly controlled with frequent seizures she most likely will be unable to qualify. Now that is for life insurance. Health benefits may be something else you are concerned with. While your daughter is a dependant she is most likely covered by your health benefit plan if you have one. Once she is no longer a student and independent her epilepsy could affect her ability to qualify for her own plan. If she works as an employee with a group benefits plan she won’t have any problem joining the plan. If she needs to get her own personal plan she may have difficulty finding a plan that will cover her pre-existing condition and any medications she is taking OR find that it is very expensive to have the pre-existing medications covered. Regarding life insurance, again a needs analysis should be done. There are many variables. Who would the teens live with in the event of your death? Could that person afford to support the kids? You need to consider eliminating any debt that may be present when you die and of course providing enough income to support the kids until they are old enough to be on their own. Add your debt and at least 75 to 80% of your income x 10 years.


Previous Posts


S & E Trusted Online Directories Inc
129 21st St E #400
Saskatoon, SK   S7K 0B2
Ph: 306.244.4150


App Store Google Play
Follow us on Facebook Linked In Twitter YouTube RSS Feed
Website hosting by Insight Hosting