The decision to purchase your home is one of the most important decisions you will ever make, and will also be one of your largest investments. Done right, it can also be one of the most exciting and fulfilling times in your life! Kari Calder a saskatoon Realtor with Century 21 Fusion is there to help you through the process, and provide you and your family with the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have a realtor working with your best interests in mind.
Here Kari shares a great tip on avoiding spring melt damage:
Spring is finally here! Although along with warmer temperatures comes water runoff and risks of flooding and damage to properties. Ice damning is a common problem in the spring with 29 claims to SGI in 2012 and a whopping 2,600 in 2013. Clear the snow off your roof with a rake or shovel to avoid the freeze-thaw cycle and the immanent damage to your roof.
Other tips to help with the spring runoff include:
- ensure your attic is properly insulated and ventilated (to avoid snow melt on your roof)
- ensure the downspouts are at least two metres from the foundation
- regularly check your basement for water
- install a sump pump and ensure it’s in working order
- install a backwater valve
- remove snow from around the perimeter of your home
- keep your downspouts and gutters free of snow and debris so there is a path for drainage
Depending on your home insurance you may or may not be covered for damages sustained with ice damning and now, flooding is no longer covered by insurance providers in Saskatchewan, it’s too much of a risk for brokers to take on. Sewer backups are still insurable if opted for in your policy.
Kari Calder is one Saskatoon's top Century 21 Fusion real estate agents. Kari can assist with all of your Saskatoon buying and selling real estate needs and she is a TRUSTED SASKATOON REALTOR
Saskatoon Real Estate Agent
Century 21 Fusion